Tuesday, April 28, 2015

WoW Weekly: Ready, Not Ready for 6.2

shot: @Manech
WoW Weekly is a biweekly-ish, self-absorbed look into the things I've been doing -- or not doing -- in the game. From auctioneering and pet battling to mount farming and raiding.

I'm just going to come out with it right up front: I cannot remember a time in the nine years I've been playing World of Warcraft when I've felt less engaged. The garrison, as it's panned out, hasn't worked for me. I know, I know---I don't have to take advantage of any aspect of the garrison if I don't want to (for now...as garrison progress is required for Patch 6.2 progress). But not utilizing the resources in the garrison clearly leaves a player at some kind of disadvantage, even if a relatively small one. 

Still, I don't often leave my garrison to explore Draenor. My main still has treasures and followers to collect, achievements to complete; I actually enjoy running 5-player content, yet Blizzard's offered little incentive to a decently geared max-level character. The last time I asked a guildie if she wanted to run a dungeon with my main, she asked if something was wrong with me. Why would I even want to do that? 

So if I'm not in my garrison, or in a guild raid, I'm not even on the continent of Draenor. I've spent more time on the Timeless Isle than Ashran by a factor of 10, at least. I've managed to complete a couple of legendary weapons from legacy content. If I'm not doing that---I'm likely engaged in some Heroes of the Storm play. Oftentimes, it's in the company of Warcraft guildies. 

The scenario reminds me of the type of play style I engage in at a very specific point each expansion: the late-expansion lull. I'm playing like I've exhausted all there is for content in Warlords when that's absolutely not the case. Hell, we haven't even seen the final raid tier. 

I think there are a few things at play, the first being a lack of time---that's on me. In past years I have had more time to play the game; with less time, I'm forced to choose which activities are the most important to me. Tidying up the garrison isn't something that's important to me, but it's sure easy to do, even if it does eat up precious time. With limited time, raiding becomes my main focus and sometimes the sole activity in game each week. It also doesn't help that I've got a step-brother who's neck deep into Heroes and always looking for a partner. 

I think the lack of story has also affected me on some level. This expansion, outside of raiding perhaps, feels a bit stagnant to me. We dealt with the major opening threat of the expansion---the Warlords---quite early on in the expansion's life. Now we're tasked with remaining in this alternate timeline to hold fast against the Burning Legion. I say let the Legion have Draenor. History in that regard is bound to repeat itself. This Draenor, too, will shatter. I'm not interested in fighting the Legion on this front when I know we'll have to fight (a version of) them on our home turf someday soon.™

I think we always secretly hope that the current expansion will be the best expansion---or at the least, live up to the previous expansion(s). And don't get me wrong: Warlords of Draenor isn't crap. But it also isn't great---it just isn't as appealing as I thought, or hoped it would be. I'm ready for 6.2 in that our raid group will be ready for what comes next. Beyond that, I'm ready to move beyond Draenor and on to the next adventure. 



No comments:

Post a Comment